These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
- Acts 17:11

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Beam in my eye…


I find this message a little hard to write. First, I can't find my glasses, which results in all this being a bit blurry. Thankfully I can adjust the font size on my laptop so I can see well enough to write this.

Second, this is the first time I've attempted to post to this blog using the publishing option in Microsoft Office. It looks simple enough. Yes, I'm a computer technician, but I deal primarily with hardware, not software, so I have no clue how this will display when I click on "Publish".

Third, this is a hard blog for me to write personally. Throughout the past posts, I've focused on the idea that we should know what we believe, why we believe it, and then see if we actually act upon those beliefs. Granted that on the grand scale I focus on a combination of politics and religion, but these same methods should apply to how we handle our daily living. Let me share the following story:

A missionary I know has an outreach to teens. He has an incredible life story, and praises how the Lord has worked in his life. He goes into both schools and churches sharing his experiences with alcohol, drugs and the down side of music. It is a successful ministry, and the Lord is working greatly thru this man. I have heard his messages and they are both sound scripturally, and moving. But I have one problem: his size. I would bet that this guy weighs between 350 and 400 pounds. When he preaches, he is very vocal and paces about the podium… and he ends up dripping in sweat. While he is a wonderful minister, but I have found myself wondering how many people judge him by his size? In my case, I agree with his message, but how many kids look at him, don't like what he is saying, and dismiss him as some fat guy screaming at them? And I know kids… they may not like the bible, or know very little about it, but many of them will ask: "Isn't gluttony a sin?" How many more might he reach if he showed restraint in his diet?

I hate hypocrites.

That is why this is hard for me to write. Let me share the following scriptures, and then tie them together:

Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things
     - Philippians 3:19 (KJV)

For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.
     - Proverbs 23:21 (KJV)

Scripture definitely tells me gluttony is a sin. There are many passages regarding not just overeating, but all gluttony in regards to overindulgence.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
     - Matthew 7:3 (KJV)

Did I not just ask how many kids dismiss him because of his weight? Isn't that what I've just done? Yes, the missionary is overweight. And it might help his ministry if he lost weight. But who am I to say this? I am overweight. As of this morning I weight 261. I should be somewhere between 170 and 190. Yes, I believe that being overweight affects how one ministers. And that is one thing that does hinder my ministry (or perhaps I use that as an excuse..?) But you know what? This missionary is doing a LOT more than I am in regards to reaching out to the lost. I have no right to judge him. Before I should ever bring the issue of weight into it, I should be taking care of my weight issues first, and working to improve my outreach to the lost before this should ever be an issue.

Yes, he is overweight. It is easy for me to say he is overweight simply because I am not as overweight as he is. It makes me feel like I am somehow "better" than he is, but if I step back, I can see the truth – we are both overweight, and HE is doing much more to serve the Lord. I need to follow the instruction of the Lord, and take care of the beam that is in my own eye rather than pointing out the mote (splinter) in his. Only once I have my weight under control could I ever approach him about this, and then it must be done in love and kindness, not with an attitude of superiority. So what do I do?

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
     - 1st Corinthians 10:31 (KJV)

I must acknowledge that I need to make changes in my eating habits. I need to rein in my eating so that it brings glory to God (along with everything else I do).

I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?
     - Job 31:1

Covenant -
A writing containing the terms of agreement or contract between parties; or the clause of agreement in a deed containing the covenant.
     - Websters 1828 Dictionary

To do this, I need to make a covenant. Job did this: he made a covenant, a contract that he would not allow himself to look upon other women. He knew how lust displeased the Lord, so he made a contract that he would not do this. Now I do not believe that it was a written contract, but God remembers when you make a contract with him (and how many such contracts have I broken myself?).

Today I am making a covenant: With Thanksgiving upon us, I will take care to no over-indulge during these next few days, and after Thanksgiving, to have a period of hard hitting dieting. By this time next year I want to be at 190 or lower (that 71+ pounds I plan to lose). And while this is first and foremost between me and the Lord, I will post current weight and amount lost at the end of all future blog entries. Should anyone read this, I covet your support.

Current and Starting weight: 261

No comments:

Post a Comment


Day by Day Cartoon